There are numerous reasons to give to charity, but when it comes down to it most people decide that it’s worth doing due to the fact that it makes them feel as though they’ve made a difference.
Countless LA residents give to charities throughout the year, and they do indeed help make an impact on the lives of millions. Here at Suzanne Dranow, we realize that one of the biggest challenges in the process can be simply choosing the right charity to give to. There are several steps you should consider taking that can help you find the right charity for your money. Here’s a look at them.
- Know Your Own Preferences – Think about what it is that really matters to you. What do you find yourself most concerned about? The environment, animal welfare, or hunger are just a few examples. Do you want to focus on a global, national, or local scale? There are numerous considerations you’ll need to make and it really comes down to figuring out which charity options are most closely aligned with your own ideals.
- Narrow Down Your Choices – Now look at charity descriptions and their mission, values, and other factors. You want to choose a charity that matches your own beliefs and ideals the best. Spend time looking at the different choices until you find exactly the one for you.
- Verify It – Now you need to make sure that the charity organization is a legitimate one. It should be a non-profit, tax-exempt organization listed as such with the IRS. Also try to research how the funds donated are spent. You should be able to learn a good bit about a charity and how it spends its money by doing a short, simple online search.
- Know The Red Flags – There are plenty of red flags that could mean you should consider another charity. For instance, charities that don’t disclose their spending approach, that pressure you to send them money, and that don’t give you information on their organization are all worth avoiding.
- Go With Your Gut – Finally, listen to your gut instincts. Your gut can be trusted, and all you need to do is listen to your heart. If you have doubts about an organization, look elsewhere. You’re going to be donating your hard earned money, and you deserve to rest easy knowing that it’s going to a group that you trust.
If you’ll keep these basic steps in mind you should be able to find the right charity for you to build a relationship with. It has numerous rewards that help make it a good idea, so be sure to take your time finding the best one for you.